Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Going Green?

Well actually, I'm not quite going green like you think I'm going green. I'm pureeing sweet baby boy's food! Can you believe it? For those who know me, know this is NOT like me. Just give me the easiest and fastest way to do anything and I'm there.

But! I can't get a vegetable other than corn or green beans into Julia (OR Jason for that matter), so I thought I'd finally put my Deceptively Delicious cookbook into practice and try some things. What you do is puree vegetables and then "hide" them in your favorite recipes.

So far, Jason and I have hated everything I've made.....except Julia! Which is good because she is half the problem. Now we (we as in me and....myself and I?) are still working on Jason. I made some meatloaf with turkey meat. I like to call it a "turkeyloaf", but I made it in a pan too small for the recipe and it came out mushy. YUCK! I threw it all away.

Then came the tofu nuggets (like her chicken nugget recipe) with hidden ingredient, broccoli. Jason? Not a fan. Julia? Thought they were cheese and pretty much ate them all. The next night was chicken "cigars" with cream cheese and chicken with hidden ingredient, carrots and cauliflower. Jason? Absolutely hated it (does not like cream cheese). Julia? She ate them all. So far Julia is deceived and eating her veggies; Jason will take a little more work. By the third night he sweetly said, "Jenn, I really don't want to eat EVERYTHING pureed".

Now, Johnathan loves the sweet potatoes, carrots, green peas and the bananas (see pic below for proof). He isn't a fan of the squash or cauliflower, however I still feed it to him with lots of sweet potatoes smoothered over the top. I'm waiting to introduce him to the broccoli.

Anyhoo, it really isn't that bad. It has only been a few days, so ask me how it's going in a couple of weeks.






Photobucket

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another way to store the puree is to freeze it in an ice cube tray. Then put the frozen cubes in a freezer bag. That way you can defrost smaller amounts as needed.

You will hate me when I tell you we never bought a single bit of baby food. I made all of it!

Anonymous said...

You are cracking me up! Very funny!!

Kelly said...

Go you! I pureed some of Tate's baby food and he did great with it.

I have both of the puree books but like the Sneaky Chef one better. It has more real-life helps...adding puree to Kraft Mac & Cheese, boxed borwnies, etc.

Have fun!

B-Mom said...

That's great, but I'm with Jason. I am not a fan of pureed foods. At least not for a few more years. After surgery, "Moist & Mushy" were the key words for 30 days so that was enough!

However, I'm with you that he needs to extend his veggie menu! But, yea! for Julia! I'm glad she's likin' it!

Keep up the good work! (Oh, and love the pic of Johnathan!) See ya next weekend!

Anonymous said...

The little J is TOO darn cute (and miss thang Julia is something else as well! it's little Jen!)